Red Sea’s Reef Mature Pro is a complete step by step program that prepares a new marine aquarium for the long term success of an artificial reef.
Typically the preparation process that is often called ‘cycling’ establishes a thriving colony of aerobic nitrifying bacteria that convert the toxic waste products to nitrate. This program however completes the biological maturation process by also establishing thriving colonies of anoxic (de-nitrifying and phosphate harboring (PHB)) bacteria. Furthermore the program provides the necessary conditions that will promote the growth of coralline algae and other micro fauna found in live rock and within a sand bed.
The complete reef maturation program, which requires a period of 21 days, will result in a fully matured system that will be biologically ready for stocking all animals including delicate SPS corals.
This manual provides detailed daily instructions for implementing the program. A detailed explanation of the biological processes in the maturation process and tips for implementing the Reef Mature program can be found on Red Sea’s website.
- This kit includes all supplements you need to mature the system. Do not add any other supplements or livestock (dead or alive) until advised to do so as part of the program.
- The Reef Mature program requires the use of accurate test kits for measuring pH, KH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. All of these tests with the appropriate level of accuracy can be found in Red Sea’s Marine Care Test kit.
- Nitro Bac – a concentrated blend of nitrifying and de-nitrifying bacteria spores to seed the live rocks, substrate and the bio-media in a new tank.
- Bacto-Start – a balanced blend of nitrogen and phosphorus components that simulate the natural waste products of an active aquarium, enabling a controlled development of the aerobic and anoxic bacteria.
- NO3:PO4-X – a unique complex of carbons and other organic bonded elements that are used by anoxic bacteria for the accurate control of algae nutrient (nitrate and phosphate) levels.
- KH-Coralline Gro – a concentrated marine buffer complex, fortified with the specific minor and trace elements that promote the growth of coralline algae and other beneficial micro fauna. Note: Coralline algae and micro fauna will only develop if they are introduced to the system such as on live rocks.